Kitchen fire in the Adanti Student Center


Tamonda GriffithsNews Writer

August Pelliccio – Features and Opinions Editor

Victoria BresnahanNews Editor

At about 1:36 p.m. a small grease fire in the Adanti Student Center (ASC) food court kitchen forced occupants to evacuate the building.

Wayne Ricks, acting battalion chief for the New Haven Fire department, said when he responded to the fire he saw a lot of smoke coming down the hallways.

“I went in and took a peak and the chemical agents from the hood basically put the fire out,” said Ricks. “We just had a lot of smoke.” No injuries were reported. Occupants of the building were allowed back in at about 2:37 p.m.

Fans were set up to help ventilate smoke out of the ASC, said Ricks.

“We, like everybody else, are required by law to have some pretty robust fire suppression systems in those areas,” said Mark Rozewski, executive vice president of finance and administration, “because there is always a risk of grease catching on fire.”

He said the food court would be open again on Monday. Bob Sheeley, associate vice president of capital budgeting and facilities operations, said the health department will be re-inspecting the ASC on Monday, as well.

Brad Crerar, director of the ASC, said the fire suppression system in the food court is tested semi-annually. This, he said, is the first case since the building’s opening in 2006 the system was deployed due to a fire.

Photo Credit: August Pelliccio

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s