Breakdown of online classes


Kenneth BaahContributor

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the university published a four-part plan detailing the steps and procedures in place to reopen the university and reduce the spread of COVID-19 including the breakdown of online classes.

The university has 64 percent, or 1,491, sections online, running either asynchronously or synchronously. The remaining 36 percent, or 840 sections, are either on-ground or hybrid.

In the College of Arts and Sciences, 58.6 percent of the classes are held online, the least of the four colleges. The School of Business and College of Health and Human Services have 67.6 percent and 66 percent, respectively. Lastly the School of Education had the highest percentage of with 72.7 percent online for the semester.

Social work major Arabelle Ebnoti, a junior, said she feels the shift to online learning has led to a different challenge to learn the material.

“Since everything is online, depending on whether you have a Zoom call or not, you [are] basically teaching yourself,” said Ebnoti. With all her classes online this semester, Ebnoti has a total of three asynchronous classes and two synchronous.

According to the master schedule, 45.36 percent of the classes are asynchronous, and 18.35 percent of classes are synchronous.

In the School of Business, like the College of Health and Human Services, has 67 percent of its sections are online. According to the master schedule, 48.11 percent of the College’s classes are asynchronous, and 18 percent are synchronous.

Subjects like Business Information Systems, Economics and Finance have shifted over 80 percent of their classes online, according to the master schedule.

Business administration management major Tarik Heymyer, a first-year student, mentions that he does not feel like he is getting the real college experience with the current format of online classes.

“Especially with learning right now when everything is online, it can make it more difficult especially when you have an asynchronous class and there’s not much that they tell you to do. They just assign stuff,” said Heymyer.

The College of Arts and Sciences, the biggest college in the university, has 16 percent of the sections asynchronous and 41.2 percent synchronous, according to the master schedule.

It has also seen departments like art, chemistry and earth science hold at least 65 percent of their class in a hybrid or on-ground format while the world language department is offering over 90 percent of their courses online.

The College of Education has the highest percentage of online classes this semester, with 35.4 percent of classes asynchronous and 34.6 percent of classes synchronous.

Science education and special education classes host 100 percent of their classes online.

Subjects like counseling and school psychology have 94 percent of classes online and the information and library service classes are 85 percent online.

Ebnoti said she hopes to return to the classroom next semester because that is where she feels the most comfortable to learn.

“I like [in-person] classes because I’m the type of person that gets distracted fast,” said Ebnoti. “If I’m in class and the teacher is there, I can pay more attention to the teacher. But yes, I would rather go back to [in-person] classes.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s