Mackenzie Hurlbert – Copy Editor –
This unique bowl design is the perfect thing to liven up your coffee table or desk. It is also a quick and easy hands-on activity to cure any bout of boredom you may face on a rainy day or weekend stuck on campus. You can buy all of the supplies at Joann Fabrics or Walmart. I can be made in steps throughout a day and will take a night to dry.
All you’ll need:
-Buttons (various sizes and shapes but flat backed ones)
-LOTS of Elmer’s Glue (or any other glue that dries clear)
-mug or can (that you don’t mind getting glue on)
1) Inflate the balloon to the desired size and balance it knot side down on the can or mug.
2) With the paintbrush, cover the top, rounded area of the balloon with a layer of Elmer’s.
3) Let this layer of glue dry. It will create a film of protection between the balloon and the buttons.
5) Continue applying the second layer of glue and the buttons until you have covered the top half of the balloon or achieved the bowl shape you desire.
6) Once all buttons are attached, flip the balloon over and balance it in the mug knot side up. This is to prevent the buttons from sliding down the balloon side as they dry).
7) Let the balloon sit to dry in this position for four to five hours.
8) Once dried completely, flip the balloon back over (knot side down), and cover the buttons with a third layer of glue.
9) Let the balloon and buttons sit to dry overnight, and in the morning, puncture the balloon and slowly let the air escape. The balloon should easily peel away from the buttons, and you can use your scissors to snip off the extra glue on the rim of the bowl.
Behold the button bowl! You have successfully crafted a unique piece out of buttons, glue and some patience. Your perseverance has paid off, and now the creation can now be used to decorate your desk or as an awesome gift for a certain someone.