While we’re still riding the coat-tails of winter, last week’s short burst of beautiful weather got us thinking about how much we can’t wait for spring! Here’s a list of our top 10 reasons to look forward to spring to soothe away your winter blues.
1. NO MORE SNOW. While it’s nice to look at, there comes a point– usually right after the season’s first snowfall– when shoveling, cleaning off your car, and having to walk to class in zero degree weather gets beyond frustrating. Not to mention having to drive to class if you’re a commuter. We all get tired of walking into class with a runny nose and our hands are too cold to even take notes. But fear not, soon the weather will get warmer and soon we will be able to enjoy the weather rather than resent it!
2. After months of being cooped up inside, it’s time to open the windows, let some fresh air in, and get to work on some serious spring cleaning. In the spring time, we suddenly get all this extra motivation and energy to be productive and get rid of the one inch layer of dust we’ve chosen to ignore while spending our free time curled up on the couch wathcing SUV marathons.
3. Short shorts! Well, less clothing in general. Spring time means wearing swim shorts to class, flip flops and wearing your hair all “beach thrown.” Plus you don’t have to wear that same damn peacoat day in and day out.
4. Being out in nature! No one has the motivation to go hiking, to the beach, or even on random day trips when it’s below 30 and there’s a foot of fresh powder on the ground. Remember going to the park? Going for walks downtown when to go shopping during the day, or out to dinner at night? Or how about walking barefoot at the beach? Getting back to nature whether by yourself or with friends is something we’re all looking forward to.
5. Random pick-up frisbee games on campus. Or hackie-sack. We’ve even seen a few spontaneous dance sequences. Whatever it is, spring brings people together on campus and we dig it every year.
6. Laying out on the grass in between classes. Rather than staying stuck inside at the Student Center, Bagel Wagon, or treking back to your room, in the spring you can lay outside when you’ve got a break, kick off your shoes and get into a good book or listen to some good tunes.
7. Finally getting over our Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). While winter may be fun at first with winter break, once the semester starts up again we start to get bummed out due to the constant cold weather and monotony of staying in all the time. The warmer weather spring brings helps get everyone out of their funks and outside for some much needed vitamin D.
8. And quite possibly the most important reason for wanting spring? One step closer to the end of the school year!