Today: May 22, 2024

Due to darkness, baseball game ends in rare tie

Senior Steve Simon went four innings giving up two runs in a no decision.

Matt Borelli, Staff Writer:
The Southern Connecticut State University baseball team had a bizarre ending in its match-up with Adelphi University
Thursday afternoon with the game ending in a 2-2 tie.
The Owls, now 28-4-1 (13-4-1 in Northeast-10), are 6-4-1in their last 11 games after starting the season 22-0. The game was called after 12 innings due to darkness.
Steve Simon got the call on the mound, going four innings, allowing nine hits, giving up two runs and striking out seven.
“This was hard fought on both sides,” said Head Coach Tim Shea. “After they beat us the day before, we had to come back and play them tough. They’re a good team.”
Trailing 2-1 heading to their final at-bats, the Owls finally came alive. Michael Cleary reached first on an error
by the centerfielder, Cleary then advanced to second on a pass ball, which led to Kyle Cummings hitting a single to left field, advancing Cleary to third.
Cummings then stole second base to put runners on second and third for Sam Greenberg, who singled to right field to tie the game up at 2-2.
“I just wanted to get on base any way I could,” said Greenberg. “Wanted to get those runners in and give us more life.”
Kyle Rosadino stepped to the plate and grounded out to third, advancing Greenberg to second with the big bat of Ryan Geffert approaching the plate. Geffert was intentionally walked to load the bases. A.J Rouleau would fly out to the first baseman in foul territory and Nick DeProspo would strike out to end the inning, leaving the bases loaded.

Junior A.J. Rouleau is hitting .311 and is third on the team with 22 RBI this season.

Both teams threatened in the extra innings, but neither team was able to put the go ahead run across the plate.
Kevin Pettine came in for Simon and pitched three strong innings, allowing one hit and no runs with two strikeouts. Chris Zbin would come in and pitch 1.2 innings, allowing just one hit before Mike Johnston pitched the final 3.1 innings allowing just one hit while striking out three.
“This was something new,” said Kyle Cummings, who went 2-5 with a stolen base. “I never have been part of a tie.”
The Panthers struck first in the top of the third inning. Omar Velazquez reached base on a single, he then stole second base on a call that could have went either way.
Richard McCarren then blasted the next pitch from Simon over the right field wall for a 2-out 2-run homerun to give Adelphi a 2-0 lead.
“The wind helped that one,” said Shea. “It was well hit, but the wind carried it.”
Adelphi was threatening again in the top half of the fourth inning. With back-to-back singles with one out, Simon fanned Trevor Thorstensen swinging and then walked Velazquez to load the bases with two outs.
Simon got Craig Matteo to hit a routine grounder to second base to get out of the jam and put an end to his day on the mound.
The Owls got on board in the bottom of the fourth, with runners on first and third with two outs. DeProspo lifted the ball high in the infield, but the wind affected it and the third basemen was unable to reel the ball in as it dropped and Geffert
scored the first run of the game for the Owls.
After a fast start, the Owls have come back down to earth– they hope to continue their success. The Owls are back at it on Saturday, April 28 when they take on Caldwell College at 3:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog